POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geek fail : Re: Geek fail Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geek fail
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Oct 2009 13:39:55
Message: <4ae48d6b$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 06:37:20 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> We're starting to get digital FM here now as well....
>>
>> Jim
>
> The biggest problem here is that broadcasters squeeze too many stations
> onto one channel making the bitrate too low for, Hi Fi OK for pop music
> though </distain>. There is also a problem with the DACs used, not
> suitable for medium or high end hi Fi systems. They sound OK on budget
> and low, medium end ones but the better the quality of system you’ve got
> the harsher they sound when you play them.

Yeah, I've not started looking yet to see what kinds of bitrates we get
here, but one of the problems with the move from analog to digital - in
general - is a loss of quality and "pixelation" of the sound.  It becomes
very apparent at low bitrates (natch), but a trained ear can hear it at
high bitrates, too.

Jim