POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Oct 2009 13:24:47
Message: <4ae489df$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> There's one thing I've always been confused about. Are all compiled
> languages equal in terms of performance?

Erm, no.

It depends how you write the program, it depends how good the compiler
is (there may even be more than one of them), it depends on what the
program is supposed to be doing in the first place, etc.

(E.g., if you're writing a program that's dominated by network latency,
it makes little difference to performance which language you use. It
might affect reliability, security or development cost, but not
performance.)

In other words, "it depends". Certainly different languages and
different language tools seem to have their strengths and weaknesses.
Actually teasing out objective "facts" about such things is less easy.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/