POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Largest POV image? : Re: Largest POV image? Server Time
8 Oct 2024 19:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Largest POV image?
From: clipka
Date: 25 Oct 2009 08:29:29
Message: <4ae444a9@news.povray.org>
mone schrieb:

> I have not much experience with radiosity. If I recollect it correctly the
> calculated values are somehow attached to the object and can be stored in a
> file? So it possibly doesn't matter much when the image size is increased with
> radiosity? Maybe the experts can say more about this :).

In a perfect world, all radiosity samples you ever need would be
gathered during radiosity pretrace, which is basically independent of
screen resolution.

In practice, most people don't set the radiosity parameters high enough
to have pretrace do a good enough job; in that case, a high-res image
may add more samples during final trace than a low-res image.

OTOH, even the number of additional samples during final trace just
grows linearly with the number of pixels.

Another effect that needs to be considered is radiosity sample lookup
during the final render; in an ideal world the time spent on this would
increase roughly linearly with number of pixels; however, due to a
high-res image usually generating more radiosity samples in total, the
per-pixel time spent on looking up radiosity samples will increase, so
the total time spent on sample lookup will increase nonlinearly.

All in all, however, I guess time required for radiosity will increase
sub-linearly with number of pixels in practice, due to pretrace time
remaining basically unchanged (unless you change radiosity parameters).