POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : New User Checking In : Re: New User Checking In Server Time
19 Aug 2024 03:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New User Checking In
From: Alain
Date: 24 Oct 2009 17:34:19
Message: <4ae372db$1@news.povray.org>

>> Howdy All. While exploring the Internet for artistic inspiration I
>> happened
>> across POV-Ray and decided to give it a try. That was Yesterday. I
>> began working
>> my way through the tutorials of course. Right off the bat I noticed
>> that the
>> tutorial in describing lighting makes reference to something which is not
>> obviously available in the program. Specifically the tutorial says to
>> render one
>> of the examples at "200x150 -A" This setting is not readily available
>> in the
>> preset rendering options drop down. Not only is this setting not
>> available but
>> editing the file for the resolutions where none of the settings look
>> anything
>> like what is already in the file.
>> This resolution is not readily available without going into parts of
>> the program
>> that a newbie shouldn't go into until at least the beginning of the
>> tutorials.
>
> It sometimes take a fresh eye to spot such things. "Old timers" will
> tend to skip over those parts without realising it.
>
>> Well it's just my opinion having found similar situations in many
>> tutorials
>> throughout the internet. The problem is one of a program coming out
>> with a new
>> version (call it an updated version if you like) and the tutorials not
>> being up
>> to date with the new version.
>> This situation has a tendency of confusing a person who is simply
>> trying to
>> learn a program.
>
> You are right. It was an old left over from way back. Possibly before
> version 3.0.
>

>> Well anyway...I just wanted to drop in and say Hey. I am fairly
>> excited about
>> learning this new (to me) program. It looks like just the software
>> I've been
>> looking for to render some art projects I've had rattling around my
>> brain pan
>> for a while.
>>
>> Well I guess that's enough for my first rant.
>> Hope you guys will help where the tutorials fall through as I've
>> described
>> above.
>>
>> R'
>>

> Welcome to our comunity.
>
> You can easily add your own resolutions. Just open "quickres.ini" in
> notepad and add your new sections.
> The format is:

For non-antialiased:
[320x200, No AA] This can be about anything. This what will be displayed
in the drop-down.
Width=320
Height=200
Antialias=Off

For antialiased:
[160x120, AA 0.3]
Width=160
Height=120
Antialias=On
Antialias_Threshold=0.3

A custom entry:
[My dual monitor, High quality]
Width=3200
Height=1200
Antialias=on
Antialias_Threshold=0.01

You can add "Antialias_Threshold=" even with "Antialias=Off", but it
will be ignored.

Once you are finished, save the file and restart POV-Ray. Your new
resolutions will be available.

Alain