POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : New User Checking In : Re: New User Checking In Server Time
19 Aug 2024 03:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New User Checking In
From: Alain
Date: 24 Oct 2009 17:27:14
Message: <4ae37132$1@news.povray.org>

> Howdy All. While exploring the Internet for artistic inspiration I happened
> across POV-Ray and decided to give it a try. That was Yesterday. I began working
> my way through the tutorials of course. Right off the bat I noticed that the
> tutorial in describing lighting makes reference to something which is not
> obviously available in the program. Specifically the tutorial says to render one
> of the examples at "200x150 -A" This setting is not readily available in the
> preset rendering options drop down. Not only is this setting not available but
> editing the file for the resolutions where none of the settings look anything
> like what is already in the file.
> This resolution is not readily available without going into parts of the program
> that a newbie shouldn't go into until at least the beginning of the advanced
> tutorials.

It sometimes take a fresh eye to spot such things. "Old timers" will
tend to skip over those parts without realising it.

> Well it's just my opinion having found similar situations in many tutorials
> throughout the internet. The problem is one of a program coming out with a new
> version (call it an updated version if you like) and the tutorials not being up
> to date with the new version.
> This situation has a tendency of confusing a person who is simply trying to
> learn a program.

You are right. It was an old left over from way back. Possibly before
version 3.0.

> Well anyway...I just wanted to drop in and say Hey. I am fairly excited about
> learning this new (to me) program. It looks like just the software I've been
> looking for to render some art projects I've had rattling around my brain pan
> for a while.
>
> Well I guess that's enough for my first rant.
> Hope you guys will help where the tutorials fall through as I've described
> above.
>
> R'

Welcome to our comunity.

You can easily add your own resolutions. Just open "quickres.ini" in
notepad and add your new sections.
The format is:
[320x200, No AA]
Width=320