POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 2012 : Re: 2012 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2012
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Oct 2009 15:47:02
Message: <4ae359b6$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>> Well, I take Darren's attitude as "Your /argument/ is crap because it
>> is based on wrong assumptions; try again"; as long as he doesn't make
>> any statement whether a religion not teaching universal love for each
>> other is crap or not, his posting cannot be read as "God and any
>> religion is crap"
>
> His attitude is not his words, you're missing the point, Islam for
> example teaches the purity of God's love and that we most promote this
> among us, so he is wrong here, but I doubt he will admit this, since he
> will say: exactly where? and I don't know exactly, is what I conclude
> from the many Koran fragments I've heard or read in an unknown period of
> time.

See, if you want to be this quote-mining and cherry picking, then you
are correct, every religion in existence suggests some concept of this,
once you cut out the other 90% of it, which turns around and says the
exact opposite. And I do include Christianity in that statement. Even
Jesus, if you bother to read something close to the original, which
almost no modern Bible contains, and certainly **not** the most popular
one, manages to come up with some things that we find, today, to be
absolutely stupid, and seem somewhat contradictory to what everyone
insists is his theme. One of the really big ones is the argument over
whether the, "Believe in him and serve him, and you will be saved.", is
the true message, or its what some of the apocryphal texts, early
writings from some of the church, etc. suggest, which is, "You are never
going to get any place, unless you keep trying to be good, because
simple belief isn't sufficient."

And again, the definition of "good" here includes a whole hosts of
things some people presume he didn't condemn, or did, wouldn't have
accepted, or did accept in his own parables, etc. The trick here being,
all of this assumes he *is* a god. If he isn't, then you have a much
bigger problem, because his own god was the Jewish one, and that god,
what ever he may have said on the subject, has his own record, and its
one of mass murder, schizophrenia, hate, prejudice, classism, etc. The
closest I have ever seen anyone managing to resolve this is to state,
"Its quite possible that the Old Testament god and the New Testament god
are not the *same* god." Ok.. So, does that mean the "no god but me"
rule applies at all anymore? And if it did, doesn't it mean a lot of
people are pissing off one nasty, evil, sociopathic, lunatic, who gets
real annoyed when people don't worship him? lol

So, Christianity, at least 90% NT versions of it, may be semi-unique in
managing to talk about a lot of nice things. Big deal. Its still a
bloody poor excuse for people to go around looking for inspiration from
the NT, while *claiming* to also follow and believe in the OT. They are
not Christians, which entail following all of it (and you would have to
have a serious mental disorder or chemical imbalance to even attempt
that), but Jesuits. Even that much of an admittance to the truth of the
matter would both a) garner them more respect from non-believers, who
could tell the fracking difference on sight between them and the
lunatics then, and b) clearly indicate who the brain damaged are, who
actually think they can "roll your own religion" from both parts of the
Bible, to create, "It says I can hate the people that creep me out, but
to love the ones I like, or just don't care much about. Its the perfect
book!" This being what you actually get, when people try to take Jesus,
who had some fair ideas, if borrowed from a few centuries worth of
philosophers, and shoe horn on the raving idiocy of a war mongering
loon, who might decide tomorrow that he didn't like cheese, and order
his followers the kill all the cheese makers in the world. Be honest,
the OT god **is** that crazy (or at least his priests have been, over
the years of inventing excuses for who they wanted conquered or killed).

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {