POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Photons broken in 3.7 - beta 34? : Re: Photons broken in 3.7 - beta 34? Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:10:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photons broken in 3.7 - beta 34?
From: clipka
Date: 24 Oct 2009 06:41:16
Message: <4ae2d9cc@news.povray.org>
TC schrieb:

> Now: under 3.7 I get a grey background, under 3.6 everything is fine. What
> am I doing wrong? Have there been changes to the behaviour of photons? Or is
> something broken in 3.7?

Apparently there is a /lot/ of stuff wrong in 3.7 regarding this scene.

So far I found the following issues:

* Cylindrical light sources and photons don't appear to mix well in
POV-Ray 3.7.

* POV-Ray 3.7's current dispersion implementation is bogus in the
multiple respects:

- At the first interface taking account dispersion, POV-Ray 3.7 does
split up the RGB ray into multiple "spectral" ones, but fails to apply
dispersion at this initial interface.

- When transmitting from one object that has dispersion directly into
another one that doesn't, POV-Ray 3.7 fails to take into account the
dispersion effects that should occur at this interface.

- At all other subsequent interfaces, POV-Ray erroneously applies the
same correctional factor to the IOR that should have been applied at the
very first dispersion interface.

I'll file a bug report to bugs.povray.org, and try to clean up that mess.