POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 2012 : Re: 2012 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2012
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Oct 2009 22:57:52
Message: <4ae26d30$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:

Hmm. Ok, like I was saying to someone earlier today, most of the
principles of Western civilization are Roman, not Biblical. Same more or
less goes for Jesus. We have basically:

1. 3 Gospels, which actually contradict each other on a number of
points, all of them written starting 50 years after the fact, then the
others *after* that, and none of them, apparently, at the same time, or
even by people we can verify ever met each other. Revelations is even
written by someone that "admits" never meeting anyone else.

2. Strong parallels between some events in Titus Flavius' campaigns
against the Jewish people, which happened... 50 years after Jesus. There
is some implication that he intended to be declared the "second coming",
but things didn't work out right. I find it plausible, given that
members of his families close cousins declared themselves the first
Christians, that they opted to use their new "invented" religion to hold
onto some power, even though their line no longer held the empire.

3. The only secondary, and usually the "most important" source, for many
believers, is... a short section at the start of the works of Josephus,
which "chronicles" those wars against the Jewish people. Problem is..
they are almost certain, based on style, content, its disconnect from
the rest of the contents, etc., that it was added, probably 100+ years
*after* the NT itself was written.

Basically, the reality is, we don't even have as much evidence of Jesus
actually existing as we have to Noah, and we are pretty sure Noah was
borrowed from the much older story of Gilgamesh.

That said.. What you get is a conglomeration of ideas. Much like the
constitution of the US isn't all 100% original ideas, but a combination
of many bits of prior thinking. Everything Jesus said was, in one form
or another, existent in other faiths, social systems, etc. But,
fragmentary. The same group teaching you about the value of treating
servants well would also tell you to kill foreigners. The same ones
telling you to valid truth, would also tell you to value human
sacrifices. The Greek and Roman gods where all over the map, but even
their own followers, like Plato and Aristotle where looking at things
and asking, "How much of this makes sense, and shouldn't be just keep
the stuff that does, and get rid of what doesn't?"

So, then you have to ask, "Ok, so what did he teach, really?" Well... If
a modern Christian believes he did, they are probably wrong. Not always,
but often. He had *some* good ideas, mangled, like all others who have
had them, by the nature of his time, and assumptions about how the world
was "supposed" to work, like rule by kings, slavery as so common he used
it in parable, without condemning it, etc. Even telling people that they
can't be disciples, unless they hate everyone they know, including
themselves. One may as well try, as some did, to follow the teachings of
Karl Marx, as though nothing he said had flaws, or condemn it all,
because it was naive and incomplete. Difference is, we don't presume
that his ideas are a religion, or refuse to change them, the way
religions pretty much demand people treat their ideas (while slowly
changing anyway, just in a tooth and nail fight to try to prevent it).

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();