POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bar codes : Re: Bar code mystery Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bar code mystery
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 23 Oct 2009 14:10:46
Message: <4ae1f1a6$1@news.povray.org>
>> I especially love the way the bar widths don't appear to be multiples
>> of each other. I almost wonder if the image has been scaled down by
>> rounding each bar to a whole number of pixels, so some "thin" bars are
>> 3 pixels and some are 4... It's very districting!
>
> It is less surprising once you know that Code39 doesn't have fixed bar
> width ratios - just "narrow" and "wide" black and white bars.

It's still confusing to have several apparently different bar widths
which are actually supposed to be "the same". The reader might accept
it, but for a visual example, it's sucky.

> Why not get one of those many Code39 TrueType fonts out there?
>
> ... or write a POV-Ray SDL script to generate barcode images :-)

Why use SDL when you can use PostScript, the language of the laser
printers? ;-)

I have in fact just written a working code-128 reader/writer today. It
only deals with bit-sequences, but I guess the next step is to handle
actual pictures...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/