POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Oct 2009 13:01:37
Message: <4ae1e171$1@news.povray.org>
Captain Jack wrote:
> That's true... I know the specification calls for packing the bytes as
> tightly as possible, but there's no standard spec for alignment.

I also believe (but I am too lazy to look it up right now) that it's
impossible to portably know whether

struct PackBits alpha = {0, 1, 0, 0};
struct PackBits beta = {0, 0, 0, 1};

alpha or beta will yield a larger number when cast to an int. I.e., I don't
think the standard even says whether the fields are allocated MSB or LSB first.

> I also used to make use of its "asm" keyword which would let me insert x86
> assembler code into the middle of my C code, and I'd often use that to
> squeeze some extra bits out of my memory usage.

Yep. When you really need to talk to the machine directly, C falls down.
That was the point of asking "why is C better?"  It was only better for
portability compared to the other languages of the time.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)