POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bar codes : Re: Bar code mystery Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bar code mystery
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Oct 2009 11:38:21
Message: <4ae1cded$1@news.povray.org>
>> This doesn't seem to match anything Wolfram Alpha can come up with:
>>
>> http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=barcode+UKM11001L3
>>
>> None of these barcodes start with the distinctive two thin bars
>> framing two thick bars ("...01011011010..."). I have no idea what
>> barcode type this is...
>
> Now if you think that those three barcodes on the Wolfram page are all
> the world has to offer...

There don't appear to be many bacode types that handle text. Many handle
only numbers.

> http://www.herdsoft.com/ti/davinci4/examples/barcodecgi.cgi is convinced
> that it is a "Code 39" (aka "Code 3 of 9") barcode, and indeed correctly
> reads it as "UKM11001L3".

Really? (I can't even tell what language that page is in.)

> Closer analysis of your barcode pattern shows that your barcode indeed
> appears to be Code 39, but flipped horizontally for some reason (which
> of course should not matter to a barcode reader).

My word... That *does* in fact appear to match. I hadn't noticed that!

> BTW, Wolfram is doing a poor job at generating Code 39 barcodes, as it
> uses different bar widths for the "frame" than for the "payload".
>
> (The Code 39 frame is usually interpreted as a leading and trailing
> asterisk (*) character, as it uses the same bar sequence.)

I especially love the way the bar widths don't appear to be multiples of
each other. I almost wonder if the image has been scaled down by
rounding each bar to a whole number of pixels, so some "thin" bars are 3
pixels and some are 4... It's very districting!

Indeed, clicking on "PDF" and enlarging the image seems to make the
problem go away... How annoying!