POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon problem: 'pixelated' caustics : Re: Photon problem: 'pixelated' caustics Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:11:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon problem: 'pixelated' caustics
From: clipka
Date: 23 Oct 2009 07:49:26
Message: <4ae19846@news.povray.org>
Bruce Mardle schrieb:

> If I use photon spacing=0.001, the caustics get sharper, as expected, but I also
> get a fairly subtle 'ripple'. It'd be nice to get rid of that, but I can live
> with it. (Curiously, the output is equally ripply with photon spacing=0.002.)

It appears to me that this is your bicubic patch artifacts showing once
again; in that case I'd expect the "ripples" structure to be quite
independent of photon spacing, except when the photon spacing is high
enough to blur it.

Maybe you want to choose a higher photon spacing for the bezier patch
than for the sphere, using "photons { target 10 ... }" (for instance;
this will give a 10-fold higher photon spacing than specified in the
globals section).