POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: nemesis
Date: 22 Oct 2009 15:46:34
Message: <4ae0b69a@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
>> C was basically portable assembly for the original Unix.
>
> ...and yet, it doesn't make it especially easy to do low-level stuff.

It doesn't?

>> Smalltalk is actually from about 1977 or something, isn't it?
>
> Yes. Very ancient, as the chart shows.

Please don't call me ancient. :P

>>> - SQL existed 15 years before high-capacity storage devices appeared.
>>
>> My uncle said that back then, they created ad-hoc, file-based database
>> management systems by themselves.  People were much bolder back then. :)
>
> But what did dthey *store* these files on? Punch cards?!

Magnetic tapes, in the 1970's.  Magnetic tapes, in the form of cassette
tapes were also available for home use, as MSX and perhaps C64 owners
may remember.

>> Are you talking about Miranda?  Yes, it was the spiritual basis for
>> Haskell.
>
> Haskell 1.0 is 1990. I guess green-screens is stretching it a litle, but
> lots of people were still using MS-DOS regularly long after that date.
> (And writing stuff in QBASIC and similar.)
>
> Miranda, of course, is even older. (See the chart.)

Your concept of old reminds me of childhood.  I was a youth in 1990 so
it doesn't seem that old to me. :)

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9