POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Largest POV image? : Re: Largest POV image? Server Time
8 Oct 2024 19:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Largest POV image?
From: Warp
Date: 22 Oct 2009 11:24:51
Message: <4ae07943@news.povray.org>
> Warp schrieb:

> >   As for POV-Ray itself, I bet the limit is 2147483648x2147483648 pixels
> > (or maybe even 4294967296x4294967296 pixels).

> On contemporary x64 machines, the limit will be much smaller - some 4e6
> x 4e6 pixels; more than that, and you'll crash through the 256 TeraByte
> address limit (contrary to legend, contemporary x64 processors only
> support 48-bit addresses, despite the architecture being designed for
> future extensibility to full-fledged 64-bit addresses).

> Windows will not allow more than some 7e5 x 7e5 pixels (8 TB), while
> Linux will not go beyond some 3e6 x 3e6 pixels (128 TB) due to
> per-process address space limits.

  But those are not limitations of POV-Ray, they are limitations of the
hardware and/or operating system.

  If POV-Ray were to be compiled on a system without those limitations,
it could probably achieve images of those sizes (in theory, of course,
because in practice it would take millenia to render such an image, as
noted elsewhere).

--
                                                          - Warp