POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Largest POV image? : Re: Largest POV image? Server Time
8 Oct 2024 14:55:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Largest POV image?
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Oct 2009 10:33:07
Message: <4ae06d23$1@news.povray.org>
>> Any theories on how many GB of RAM would be required to render that?
>> (Assuming you turn off the display preview - apparently some people
>> don't know you can do this...)
>
> In theory, POV-Ray needs to store (width*2) pixels. libpng may need to store
> a bunch more rows at once while compressing.

libpng only needs the current and previous row to run the pixel filter.
I have no idea what the DEFLATE compressor needs. (Other than a complete
redesign...) All assuming you're not going to generate interlaced PNG,
that is.

I note that to store (2^31 - 1) x (2^31 - 1) pixels, where each pixel
requires exactly 4 bytes, requires about 18 exabytes of storage. (!!)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(2^31+-+1)^2+*+4+bytes

Note: 1 exabyte = 1,000 petabytes = 1,000,000 terabytes (or thereabouts).

Nobody has anything approaching that amount of disk space, never mind RAM.

Also, if POV-Ray achieves a million pixels per second (highly unlikely),
that gives us...

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(2^31+-+1)^2+%2F+1000000+*+1+second

...almost 150 millennia. So it seems pretty moot to me. :-P