POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Largest POV image? : Re: Largest POV image? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Largest POV image?
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Oct 2009 10:12:57
Message: <4ae06869$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Note that many image formats have a limit of 65536x65536 pixels. (I don't
> know if PNG has such a limit.)

According to the official PNG specification [which I just happen to have
on my work PC], the size of the image is specified by the IHDR chunk.
The maximum value for the width and height in pixels is explicitly
specified to be  2^31 - 1 (even though the fields are 4-byte unsigned
integers). It is plausible that some programs might incorrectly support
2^32 - 1 though.

>   As for POV-Ray itself, I bet the limit is 2147483648x2147483648 pixels
> (or maybe even 4294967296x4294967296 pixels).

Any theories on how many GB of RAM would be required to render that?
(Assuming you turn off the display preview - apparently some people
don't know you can do this...)