POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon problem: 'pixelated' caustics : Re: Photon problem: 'pixelated' caustics Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon problem: 'pixelated' caustics
From: clipka
Date: 22 Oct 2009 06:13:52
Message: <4ae03060$1@news.povray.org>
Bruce Mardle schrieb:

> Any suggestions on photon settings I could try to make the caustics sharp and
> realistic? Or is it a problem with the Bezier patches?

POV-Ray actually works with a mesh-like pproximations of the patch, not
with the exact mathematical representation. You can increase the
resolution of that mesh using the following parameters on the bezier
patches:

   type     1
   u_steps  3
   v_steps  3
   flatness 0.0

The first parameter tells POV-Ray that you want control over the mesh
resolution, at the cost of some memory (type 0 would be default).

The second and third parameter tells POV-Ray the (maximum) mesh
resolution you want. Note that the actual resolution is 2^u_steps by
2^v_steps. Increase this to reduce the artifacts you observe, or
decrease for speed.

The fourth parameter tells POV-Ray at which curvature to stop
subdividing even before reaching the maximum; a value of 0.0 tells
POV-Ray to always subdivide to maximum. This can speed up things, but
may introduce other artifacts ("cracks" in the patch).