POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Oct 2009 04:57:21
Message: <4ae01e71$1@news.povray.org>
>>> XSLT is definitely turing-complete.
>>
>> So is PostScript, but nobody uses that for anything except page
>> descriptions.
>
> Well, I once wrote a PS program to compute fractals...
>
> In any case, PostScript /is/ a full-fledged programming language, and
> was always intended to be.

According to Wikipedia, it was always designed to be a page-description
language.

(I've read that there are in fact GUI systems powered by PS...)

> XSLT on the other hand was originally designed as a /query/ language,
> and it is only through extensions to the basic concept that it
> (accidently, not by design) happens to be Turing complete. You really
> have to abuse the language to write generic programs with it, and in- &
> output will be your least problems.

SQL was originally designed as a query language too. (Well, technically,
a data definition and manipulation language, which isn't precisely the
same thing.) Various people have made it Turing-complete in incompatible
ways though...