POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Oct 2009 04:14:05
Message: <4ae0144d$1@news.povray.org>
> C was basically portable assembly for the original Unix.

...and yet, it doesn't make it especially easy to do low-level stuff.

>> - Smalltalk was doing OOP before home computers were even *invented*,
>> and yet it wasn't until 20 _years_ later that commercial products like
>> TP 5.5 and Delphi started to take the idea mainstream.
>
> Smalltalk is actually from about 1977 or something, isn't it?

Yes. Very ancient, as the chart shows.

>> - SQL existed 15 years before high-capacity storage devices appeared.
>
> My uncle said that back then, they created ad-hoc, file-based database
> management systems by themselves.  People were much bolder back then. :)

But what did dthey *store* these files on? Punch cards?!

>> - Haskell was invented back when people were still using green screens
>> and MS-DOS. It brings a slight chill to my spine to know that way back
>> when I was still coding with AMOS Professional, minds immeasurably
>> superior to ours had already constructed the most powerful programming
>> language known.
>
> Are you talking about Miranda?  Yes, it was the spiritual basis for
> Haskell.

Haskell 1.0 is 1990. I guess green-screens is stretching it a litle, but
lots of people were still using MS-DOS regularly long after that date.
(And writing stuff in QBASIC and similar.)

Miranda, of course, is even older. (See the chart.)