POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for Speed: Shift : Re: Need for Speed: Shift Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need for Speed: Shift
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 21 Oct 2009 19:21:04
Message: <4adf9760$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> calibrating and everything. It was the two combined that was a mess. The
>> feedback for resistance was enough to push the wheel about 5 to 10
>> degrees the other direction. Which was enough to trigger the resistance
>> to turning, and so push the wheel back the other direction. Letting go
>> of the wheel at low speed and just touching the throttle caused the car
>> to just zig-zag down the track.
>
> This is due to the small time delay between the game signalling some
> force feedback and it actually happening on the wheel.  It's classic
> Pilot Induced Oscillation, only in this case the game software is the
> "pilot".  Most serious sims have a variable to inform the game of this
> time delay, the sim then "predicts" the FF this far ahead and feeds that
> to the wheel instead of what it thinks it should do at that exact
> moment.  If you look on the forums of serious racing sims you will see
> loads of threads related to the best settings for particular wheels.

Oh, I know that situation well. Too many hours spent on flight-sims,
where a little spike in CPU usage would result in some very wild
maneuvers. Since it isn't my PS3, or wheel, I have no idea if the system
offered any of the settings I would expect. The NFS:Shift demo offered
just dead-zone and FF strength. I assume that my friend, being a gear
head, would have checked other calibration options if there were any on
the system.

Mike and I have been talking cross point since the start, I fear. Me
about the PS3 demo I played for 5 minutes, and him about the finished PC
version he has been enjoying. I suspect they are completely different
games, at this point.