POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Geocities Objects : Re: Geocities Objects Server Time
1 May 2024 19:46:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geocities Objects
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 21 Oct 2009 19:03:35
Message: <4adf9347$1@news.povray.org>
Chris B wrote:

> "Sabrina Kilian" <ski### [at] vtedu> wrote in message
>>
>> Only snags on the list so far are Colefax's page, #309, and #333. All of
>> those have been handing back HTTP 503 errors. Will keep trying them and
>> see if I can't get them at a different time of day, or with a browser by
>> hand.
>>

> Hows that going?
>
> I've been having no success at contacting Chris Colefax, having tried
> both the email addresses I had for him.
> It would be a pity to lose his work. I think his site has been a popular
> resource over the years.
>
> Regards,
> Chris B.

Chris's site was so large that getting copies of it all was causing too
much traffic, and why Geocities kept stopping me. So, I just kept
banging at it, send wget back at least five times so far. Near as I can
tell, I have a copy of everything from the sites you listed. I am going
to run wget over everything one more time, to see if anything else shows
up as missing. Lots of stuff was duplicated, since the how-tos often
linked to scripts, and the scripts linked to galleries. I specifically
did not go through and back up the galleries. If I got them by accident,
from traveling links, then there isn't much I can do. Those I feel
certain we will not be authorized to redistribute, so I did not target them.

I haven't started going through it for stuff that can be redistributed,
that is going to take much longer. But, I will be moving it around to at
least 3 hard drives, several solid state memory cards, and at least a CD
and DVD. I may not be able to distribute any of it, but it won't be
lost. I am also chatting with friends, convincing them to learn POV-Ray,
so certain things may be reverse engineered, and updated to 3.6 or 3.7,
if they can not be distributed.