POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: nemesis
Date: 21 Oct 2009 14:54:42
Message: <4adf58f2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> - Pascal predates C, and yet C fails to incorporate almost any of the
> good ideas from Pascal.

It was just a small and obscure academic language back then.  C was
basically portable assembly for the original Unix.

> - Smalltalk was doing OOP before home computers were even *invented*,
> and yet it wasn't until 20 _years_ later that commercial products like
> TP 5.5 and Delphi started to take the idea mainstream.

Smalltalk is actually from about 1977 or something, isn't it?

> - SQL existed 15 years before high-capacity storage devices appeared.
> (This is worse than it appears. You wouldn't even realise that a
> language like SQL was *necessary* unless databases themselves had
> already existed for some considerable length of time. And after that
> there would obviously be a rash of incompatible proprietry languages
> until people decided to design a standardised one.)

My uncle said that back then, they created ad-hoc, file-based database
management systems by themselves.  People were much bolder back then. :)

> - PostScript was invented 10 years before laser printers existed. (It
> was apparently designed specifically with laser printers in mind, as I
> had always believed.)

Is it so?

> - Haskell was invented back when people were still using green screens
> and MS-DOS. It brings a slight chill to my spine to know that way back
> when I was still coding with AMOS Professional, minds immeasurably
> superior to ours had already constructed the most powerful programming
> language known.

Are you talking about Miranda?  Yes, it was the spiritual basis for Haskell.

> - Perl predates the Internet by half a decade. (WTF?) I can only imagine
> it began life as a Unixy text-munging system in the style of awk, sed, etc.

Yes.  Scripting languages were not devised for the internet.

> - JavaScript predates Java. (WTF?!)

Perhaps would be called oakscript? ;)

> - Visual Basic is significantly older than Delphi.

No, just a few years.

> - Ruby, PHP and JavaScript were all around at the same time as Delphi.
> This is puzzling because when Delphi was new, the Internet didn't really
> "exist" yet.

I was browsing the web (at University) in 1994, about same time those
were starting.

> - C# (by which I denote the entire zoo of .NET languages) is the only
> thing in the chart to have been invented this millennium.

It's an amalgama of Java and Delphi Pascal.  and some hints of Python as
of late...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9