POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: clipka
Date: 21 Oct 2009 12:45:50
Message: <4adf3abe$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible schrieb:

> That must make me rare then. I can program in BASIC [I MEAN OLD SKOOL
> BASIC WITH ALL-CAPS AND LINE NUMBERS INSTEAD OF A TEXT EDITOR], Pascal
> (which is structured), PostScript (which is weird), JavaScript, Java,
> Smalltalk, Eiffel (which are all OOP), Haskell (which is functional),
> SQL (which is relational), and I have a vague grasp of Lisp and Prolog.
> I've also written in machine code. (No, I don't mean assembly. I *mean*
> machine code. I couldn't afford an assembler, so I assembled the program
> by hand with a big book of op-code tables...)

Hum...

BASIC: Yes, first language I learned. On a home computer, of course.
Locomotive Basic, to be precise. Amstrad CPC 6128.

Pascal: Second serious language I learned. Turbo-Pascal 3.Something back
then on CP/M machines, later Turbo-Pascal 6.0. My personal favorite
language in DOS times.

PostScript: Yes, been there. Weiredest (and therefore most interesting)
language there is out there, if I'm asked (except for /deliberately/
obfuscated languages, which aren't half as interesting due to the
frustration potential involved).

JavaScript, Java, SQL: Yes.

Smalltalk: Seen it; would take some days to get back into it.

Eiffel, Haskell, Lisp, Prolog: No, never seen (well, seen a /bit/ of
Haskell here of course :-))

Machine code: Yes, I think I did "poke" a few bytes into my Amstrad CPC
6128; 0xCD was CALL and 0xC9 was RET, if I remember correctly, but it
has been a while; I preferred assembler anyway (Zilog Z80, 16- and
32-bit Intel 80x86, Intel 8051).

There are lots of other languages out there though, some of which I've
done serious work in - like BASIC (Visual Basic for Applications, that
is), BASIC (good old Siemens mainframe BASIC yet another animal), Unix
shell scripts, XSLT (kind of an XML query language), and C# - some of
which I had to learn or toyed around with a bit - like COBOL (yuck!),
Logo (who hasn't toyed around with /that/? Allegedly you could even do
other stuff with it than just draw), UnrealScript (gee, first time I saw
a language natively supporting state machines; and network replication;
and all that object-oriented, of course), Nice, Tcl/Tk, awk, and maybe
one or two more - and some of which I had a quick look at, like lua.

> Did I mention POV-Ray SDL in there?

Oh, yeah, now that you mention it... :-)

> Lisp isn't too hard to interpret either. (But arguably too hard for
> 8-year-olds to program with.) Smalltalk is pretty easy to interpret, and
> easy on the brain too. Prolog would also not be hard to interpret, but
> probably not especially useful for home users.

I guess all these languages wouldn't really fit the limited capacities
of a home computer. Can you, for instance, imagine an object-oriented
runtime system on something like 32kB RAM and 16kB ROM? Running at 1
MHz? With automatic garbage collection and all?

Plus, I guess these languages would have lacked syntax for peeks &
pokes. Can you imagine the home computer boom without peeks & pokes? :-)