POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions : Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Oct 2009 05:02:06
Message: <4adece0e$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm pretty sure this is incorrect too. The Windows Update server had
>> to install SP3, reboot the PC and then install the .NET framework -
>> which doesn't like a lot of sense if SP3 *includes* it.
>
> Oh ok, I don't remember so I might be wrong, I thought I read that from
> XP SP2 onwards .net was included.  Might the SP install just have
> deferred the installation of .net until after the reboot?

Nope. I sometimes have to do this manually if WUS doesn't work for some
reason, and just installing SP3 is insufficient. No amount of rebooting
helps. You have to also manually install the .NET framework, which is a
seperate [240 MB] download.

>> Yes, I expect Vista usage to increase over time. (Or will it? Maybe
>> everybody will just move to Windows 7?)
>
> I assume Windows 7 will include .net, so the % of machines with .net
> installed should continue to rise.

Oh, sure. I meant will Windows Vista continue to increase once Windows 7
is out. ;-)