POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 4D : Re: 4D Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4D
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Oct 2009 04:54:40
Message: <4adecc50$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:

> It's good to know that some people are taking the idea of a fourth
> spatial dimension seriously. A lot of people argue that time is the
> "true" 4th dimension, but that idea just doesn't sit well with me, even
> though I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area.

An extra spatial dimension gives you 4D Euclidian space.

Time as an extra dimension gives you a 4D non-Euclidian space, which
turns out to be useful in Einstien's various reletivity theories.

These are two seperate, unrelated geometries.

4D Euclidian space is interesting because it's a straight extension of
3D Euclidian geometry.

And then, as I mentioned, there are other non-Euclidian geometries. For
example, elliptic geometry. In 2D elliptic geometry, a "straight line"
is in fact a line drawn on the surface of a sphere. Since the surface of
a sphere is curved, all these "straight lines" curve around it and
eventually close into circles. (E.g., the Earth's equator is such a
circle.) Thus, in elliptic geometry, *all* lines intersect each other,
and there is no such thing as "parallel" lines.

Somewhat weirder is hyperbolic geometry, where multiple "straight lines"
through a single point do not intersect each other [except at that
point]. You really need to play with this:

http://cs.unm.edu/~joel/NonEuclid/NonEuclid.html

I lost hours in it...