POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : wacom bamboo fun : Re: wacom bamboo fun Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wacom bamboo fun
From: stbenge
Date: 20 Oct 2009 15:44:39
Message: <4ade1327@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> stbenge escreveu:
>> I'm seriously thinking about buying this! Is it difficult to tell
>> where your strokes will end up in relation to your current drawing?
>> How about the precision, is it truly good?
>
> It's really good.  Like I said to Darren above, I thought I'd feel
> awkward by drawing on a surface and looking at another surface for the
> result, but it simply goes smooth and natural, like drawing on paper.
> The cursor is there exactly at the point where you'd see your
> pencil/brush and there's no apparent lag between your moves and what
> happens on screen.

Great news, all of it.

> I'm really surprised you don't have a tablet!  Your Gimp paintings in
> your website are good enough as they are! o_O  then again, you're a true
> craftsman... :)

Thanks! Yeah, I've not bought a tablet yet because it seemed like a
frivolous purchase. But since I have some money to spend, and I know
I'll be using a tablet all the time, I think I can afford to buy one ;)

> My best efforts so far with mouse only came to this:
> http://i37.tinypic.com/2it1oit.jpg
> http://i37.tinypic.com/2u95pcp.jpg

Not too bad. Drawing with the mouse is very difficult.

> I had to draw a few bezier curves to help me limit the drawings to a
> certain region...

I usually make a freehand polygonal selection and round out the corners
with the smudge tool. It's faster than using bezier curves. There's
nothing like technical difficulties to quench inspiration :P

> Better:  the other tip of the stylus can be used to select another brush
> (most commonly the eraser).  So you flip the pen and it immediately
> gives you one of two different active brushes/tools. :)

Dang, it's sounding better all the time.

>> A lot of questions, but I'm getting excited about this!
>
> It's truly exciting.  Funny thing is, I only came back to gimp because
> decided it would be a good time to finally learn UV-mapping in Blender
> and draw my own texture maps.

You probably already know this, but Blender now has support for
projection painting. This makes painting directly onto objects much
easier, although the tool set is very limited.

> Then I started doodling and became
> furious at the mouse and searched around to see the state of tablets.  I
> found an online store physically close to where I live, phoned them and
> asked for my choice of tablet and price, took a bus without wait and in
> 30 minutes was back home with a nice box. :)

I hope I can buy one with paypal. I live very far away from any
electronic stores. On the plus side, we get several feet of snow each
year :)

Sam