POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed : Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 20 Oct 2009 15:38:09
Message: <4ade11a1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>> Pardon my English, still learning, let me rephrase please:
>
> No problem.

:-)

>> Well, pretty easy are not the words I would choose to describe getting
>> 750,000 files.
>
> I often use the file system as a quick-and-easy database. :-)

I would hate that 750K partition unless is fully defragged with
PerfectDisk 10 and even so the MFT would be big and searching a file a pain.

>> How much of your MFT Zone is used by those 750,000 files?
>
> I don't know, offhand. I wound up using a defrag tool that didn't
> respect the boundaries, so it fragmented my MFT. Unfortunately, I did
> this on my boot disk

PerfectDisk 10, is all you need...

>, which is far more difficult to backup, reformat,
> and restore file-by-file.

Acronis True Image?

>> If I made grammar errors please point them out so I can learn from
>> them, thanks.
>
> The confusion from
>  >> How much of your MFT uses those 750K files?
> is that the MFT is the subject in that sentence, and the sentence
> implies it is using 750K files. A better way to phrase it would be
>
> "How much of the MFT space do the files use?"
> or
> "How much of the MFT space is used by the files?"
>
> Then "files" is the subject, and the files use the MFT space, which
> makes more sense.

Exactly, thanks for the correction, I end up getting to the same
conclusion but is very reassuring when a English Language native give
you the right answer too :-) Spanish is mine, hence the confusion, when
you think "too fast" in a foreign language you end up mixing it with
your own and writing/saying phrases/sentences that won't make sense on
either language.