POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed : Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Oct 2009 13:32:45
Message: <4addf43d@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   "How much NTFS bookkeeping data is required (which the system puts inside
> the MFT zone) if you have 750000 small files?"

Oh. MFT records are 1K, I think.

The "MFT zone" is different. That's an area of the disk that's right after
the main block of MFT that Windows tries not to put files into. It's there
because you can't defrag the MFT, so as the MFT grows, it's best to have
space right after it to grow into. However, if you *do* fill up the disk (or
use a defragger that moves files into there, d'oh!) you can use that space.
It'll just get allocated last of all.

If you look at the MyDefrag, one of the defrag options is to move files out
of that space.

By default, it starts at 12.5% of the disk, and you can half that or double
that when you format the drive, depending on your anticipated needs.

>   Or if we ask the same thing a bit differently: "How many files can you
> have in an NTFS partition before a 1MB MTF zone gets full?"

 From defrag -v -a:

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
     Total MFT size                      = 264 MB
     MFT record count                    = 256,999
     Percent MFT in use                  = 95
     Total MFT fragments                 = 3

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)