POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 24 and 32 bit heightfields : Re: 24 and 32 bit heightfields Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:35:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 24 and 32 bit heightfields
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 20 Oct 2009 13:26:51
Message: <4addf2db$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:

> I write in more detail about this here:
>
> http://isometricland.com/povray/povray_high_precision_heightfields.php

It's rather specialized. I think it would only make sense
to implement this in POV-Ray if the height_field object would
then also support the higher resolution.

Also, instead of again using a hacked format like it was done
with 16-bit TGA, it might be preferrable to use a 32-bit TIFF.
Possibly the hdr file format could be of interest as well? Of
course, most software likely won't read that either ;) I think
someone was already looking into improving TIFF support for 3.7,
maybe this would become practicable as a side effect.

PS: Your keyboard chart generator looks nice.