POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed : Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Oct 2009 11:47:23
Message: <4adddb8b@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> Pardon my English, still learning, let me rephrase please:

No problem.

> Well, pretty easy are not the words I would choose to describe getting
> 750,000 files.

I often use the file system as a quick-and-easy database. :-)

> How much of your MFT Zone is used by those 750,000 files?

I don't know, offhand. I wound up using a defrag tool that didn't respect
the boundaries, so it fragmented my MFT. Unfortunately, I did this on my
boot disk, which is far more difficult to backup, reformat, and restore
file-by-file.

> If I made grammar errors please point them out so I can learn from them,
> thanks.

The confusion from
 >> How much of your MFT uses those 750K files?
is that the MFT is the subject in that sentence, and the sentence implies it
is using 750K files. A better way to phrase it would be

"How much of the MFT space do the files use?"
or
"How much of the MFT space is used by the files?"

Then "files" is the subject, and the files use the MFT space, which makes
more sense.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)