POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 4D : Re: 4D Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4D
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 20 Oct 2009 09:43:37
Message: <4addbe89$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Remember Thalidomide?

No idea about this man.

> One Thelidomide molecule is actually "safe", but it's mirror image
> causes... well, go Google it. (Unfortunately, it turns out that normal
> human metabolism can convert one molecule to the other, so it's not so
> "safe" after all...)

oh, interesting, I'll dig into it later, thanks

> But there are lots and lots of biological molecules who's mirror images
> are at best inactive and at worst toxic.

wow, maybe is not such a good idea without an anti-mirror protection :-)

> Have you read about non-Euclid geometry? You may find it interesting...

No, but I'll try to download a free book from wikipedia wikibooks,
thanks :-)

> Assuming our hypothetical 4D world has 4D atoms and 4D gravity, I
> imagine your 0-thickness body would slip between the microscopic gaps
> between atoms...

wow, a 4D ghost :-D imagining is just great, someone has to do a movie
out of this, is just too good to be just a Math tale. 4D gravity, that
will be a problem since the simple "shadow" of a hypercube looks
bizarre, imagine a true hypercube or more complex object or people, how
gravity, being normal to a 4D surface by definition, affects the 4D
matter, man! *blows mind*, if mathematicians help get this to the movies
will break the Academy Oscar record set by Lord Of The Rings... assuming
non-math-friendly-people don't go to sleep or exit the movie yelling for
a refund...

> And that's just about the best way for us 3D simpletons to imagine the
> 4D world; try to imagine how you'd describe a cube or a torus to a 2D
> simpleton.

yeah, wow, assuming they understand our language, this is getting more
and more a new Star Trek series: Voyager in the 4th Dimension.

> Start with 1 point.
>
> Extrude. Now you have 2 points + 1 line.
>
> Extrude. Now you have a square consisting of 4 points + 4 lines + 1
> surface.
>
> Extrude. Now you have a cube with 8 points + 12 lines + 6 surfaces + 1
> volume.
>
> Extrude. Now you have a hypercube with... uh... 16 points, 32 lines, 24
> surfaces, 8 volumes and 1 hypervolume.
>
> More fascinating, 4D space apparently has a regular hypergon with 400
> sides...

Thanks for this, I'd save this and the previous info for future
reference. I have always liked Math over any other science, I'd be a
mathematician if it were a Degree anywhere near my city; Math seldom
bores me, all the opposite, is lots of fun :-)

> Once you realise that a frustrum is a squished cube, and that you're
> looking *through* the 8th side, it's quite easy to find al 8 sides of a
> wireframe projection...

OK, I'll take your word for it :-) and I'll start looking on this
"frustratum" :-D to start with and then go through the 8 sides.

Thanks for all the info pal.

Cheers.