POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 4D : Re: 4D Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4D
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 20 Oct 2009 07:54:45
Message: <4adda505$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>
>> I don't know if some day would be possible but would be great to visit
>> a 4D world and meet 4D people :-D
>
> I should point out that a rotation in 4D can leave your body in mirror
> image. If you go to 4D-land, turn around the "wrong" way, and then come
> back, your body will be inverted.
>
> Why would you care? Well... certain biological molecules are chiral,
> so... good luck assimilating your food. :-P

Hahaha, yeah I've been reading... :-) didn't know about the
bio-molecules tho.

> (If 4D rotation seems weird, consider a 2D figure rotated through 3D
> space. For example, take the letter "d", draw it on a transparency, and
> then flip the transparency over. You now have the letter "b" - it's
> mirrored in 2D space, but in 3D space it's just a rotation!)

Isn't this thing alone just cool? This reminds me the transformation
between 3D rectangular and spherical coordinates, a circumference in the
former is a line in the latter, fascinating...

> Let us not also forget that your body would have 0 thickness in 4D-land.

Imagine that, like a 2D being in a 3D world, great for a movie plot :-D

>> 4D makes my head go thinking pretty bizarre stuff, don't you?
>
> Perhaps.
>
> The logic is fairly simple;

agree

> the trouble starts when you try to
> "visualise" what it means.

exactly, like how does a 2D being thinks about a 3D object or being, how
do they "see" it, is just bizarre...

> For example, when you extrude an object, the following happens:
>
> - Each point becomes two matching points.
> - Each line becomes two matching lines.
> - Each pair of matching points as a new line added between them.
> - Each pair of matching lines has a new surface added between them.
>
> Thus, clearly, when extruding an object into a new dimension:
>
> - P = 2P
> - L = 2L + P
> - S = 2 + L
>
> By that reconing, extruding a square (4 points, 4 lines) into a cube
> should yield
>
> - 2*4 = 8 points
> - 2*4 + 4 = 12 lines
> - 2 + 4 = 6 surfaces
>
> ....which turns out to be correct.

yeah, I was thinking for about 3 hours how to get to a 4D hypercube
following the logic of building a 3D cube from a single line segment,

dimension adds a new(n+1) dimension, the irony is you already must know
what direction to rotate to in order to build the n+1-dimension object
in that dimension, I was also noticing the increasing number of P,L and
S, great brain exercise, also it reminded me of a possible explanation
for the Bermuda Triangle as a "door" to a Wormhole into hyperspace, man
this is the most pleasing way of meditation I have ever found :-); yoga?
way stay meditating in a 3D world when you can imagine the awesomeness
of a 4D world? :-D

> Applying the exact same formulas, extruding a cube into a 4D hypercube
> should yield
>
> - 8*2 = 16 points
> - 2*12 + 8 = 32 lines
> - 2 + 6 = 8 hypersurfaces
> - I have no idea how many "normal" surfaces
>
> For extra fun, look at a 2D projection of a rotating 3D cube.
> Unfortunately, this won't look like some 2D lines moving around, it will
> *look like* a true 3D cube - because our brains are designed this way.
> But now consider a 3D perspective projection of a rotating 4D
> hypercube... You can see exactly the same effects. It's just more
> mind-blowing. ;-)

In deed :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_dimension