POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source software is always stable : Re: Open source software is always stable Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source software is always stable
From: SharkD
Date: 19 Oct 2009 12:30:33
Message: <4adc9429@news.povray.org>
I read recently in Scientific American about quantum technology being
used in encryption. Basically the idea is that the individual particles
used in the transmission signal are charged or spun at the quantum level
in such a way (without affecting the data itself) that the signal can't
be intercepted or examined without corrupting this charge or spin and
marking the signal as compromised. This got me thinking as to whether an
arbitrary pattern of electrons or light (i.e. an audio file being
transmitted or stored on a medium) could be "tagged" at the quantum
level, thus making it unreadable without proper hardware (or at least
the correct key) and making it useful for DRM purposes. Since the data
itself does not change (just some normally ignored/discarded
characteristics of the transmission signal), it would not affect the
size or performance of the DRM encoded data.

Here's the link:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=swiss-test-quantum-cryptography

Mike