POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source software is always stable : Re: Open source software is always stable Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source software is always stable
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Oct 2009 11:50:24
Message: <4adc8ac0$1@news.povray.org>
>> I bought Natasha Beggingfield. Not the ones with the rootkit,
>> fortunately...
>
> Another of the reasons I don't tend to buy music CDs any more - you never
> know what they've included software-wise on the disc.  Running Linux, I
> don't need to worry about it too much, but still, I don't like giving
> money to companies that do things I don't consider to be right/ethical.

Just need to turn off AutoPlay. But still, it's not very ethical to
hijack somebody else's property to protect your own interests. (In other
situations I believe that's called "theft".) And it's not like it's
going to stop the geniune criminals - only the paying customers.

>> Buy MP3s, which are by definition lower quality than CDs? Heh, I don't
>> think so. ;-)
>
> Exactly.  The value-add there is....?  (Some would say "portability", but
> I have that with ripping my CDs, so there's no added value).

Indeed.

>> (But then, I use Ogg Vorbis anyway...)
>
> I need to look into that and see how it compares on my iPod.  Rockbox is
> supposed to be able to play the format...

RockBox plays that format on my iAudio M5L... but then so did the
manufacturer's original firmware. ;-)

Personally, I use CDex for ripping. Put in a disk, tell it what the
tracks are called, hit rip. It generates the Vorbis files, names them,
and encodes the metadata into them. Copy and play...