POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source software is always stable : Re: Open source software is always stable Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source software is always stable
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Oct 2009 11:15:02
Message: <4adc8276$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:04:33 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Thanks to DRM, I get to buy the same product for 10x the price.
>>
>> And in some cases, you get to buy it more than once.
>
> Heh, that's why I don't buy DRM-protected content. ;-)

Same here.  There's not much audio-wise that I find worth it.  I think
the last music CDs we purchased were the complete LOTR soundtrack discs.

> Actually, I'm currently buying content again for a different reason:
> replacing VHS with DVD. But at least here you're getting something for
> your money. (Do you have any idea how long it takes to rewind a VHS
> tape?? Or how grainy the picture is?)

Answer to both questions in the parenthetical is "yes". :-)  This is
something where I'm OK with re-buying the content, because I'm paying for
the improved quality.  Same thing with buying CDs to replace cassettes.
But buying MP3s to replace CDs?  No, I'll rip 'em myself, thanks.

Jim