POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source software is always stable : Re: Open source software is always stable Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source software is always stable
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Oct 2009 10:58:40
Message: <4adc7ea0@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:03:53 +0200, scott wrote:

> Anyway, sit back and feel comforted that your extra donations to the
> record companies mean they can charge the rest of us a tiny bit less for
> everything else they sell

Except that they don't.  I remember when CDs came out, they talked about
how much less expensive it was to produce CDs than cassettes, and the
initial marketing (which drove adoption) was that CDs *would* be cheaper
than cassettes.

Yet cassettes tended in the $6-$8 range IIRC, but CDs never really
dropped below $15 (for first run, obviously clearance stuff was reduced
below that).

Jim