POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions : Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions
From: scott
Date: 19 Oct 2009 09:41:50
Message: <4adc6c9e@news.povray.org>
> I'm also pretty certain that the .NET runtime is *not* automatically
> installed by Windows Update. You can _request_ it from Windows Update, but
> it's listed as "optional software" rather than a required update. (Of
> course, updates to any version of the runtime you've already installed get
> added automatically. But not the runtime itself.)

Oh ok I hadn't checked what category it came under, I just remember seeing
it on my XP box a long time ago.

> And what do you mean "still have XP"? Last time I checked, virtually
> *everybody* is "still" using XP. (Except for the tiny few who bought a new
> PC recently.)

Recently I've seen a lot of people show up with Vista laptops, I guess most
people get them replaced every few years so it's not surprising.  Anyway I
kind of meant the original un-updated XP, the service pack updates include
.net anyway.

BTW, according to Wikipedia 22% use Vista and 68% use XP, and you can guess
which way both those numbers are heading...

> I rephrase: The .NET runtime is not listed in add/remove programs. I
> presumed this to mean it isn't installed.

Ah ok, yes it *is* installed, but I assume you cannot uninstall it (because
presumably some parts of Vista were written to make use of it).