POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions : Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Oct 2009 09:17:29
Message: <4adc66e9$1@news.povray.org>
>> Where does this "everybody has the .NET runtime" myth come from?
>
> The only people who don't have it are those that still have XP, have not
> installed all the Windows Upates, and have never installed a program
> that needed the .net runtime.  It can't be that many compared to the
> number of people without the Borland runtime :-)

I would think the number of people with the .NET runtime *is* far, far
larger than the Borland runtime. But still, I've yet to come across any
PCs which have the .NET runtime "already". All the machines at work had
to have it added, and my PC at home only has it because VS requires it
for some reason.

I'm also pretty certain that the .NET runtime is *not* automatically
installed by Windows Update. You can _request_ it from Windows Update,
but it's listed as "optional software" rather than a required update.
(Of course, updates to any version of the runtime you've already
installed get added automatically. But not the runtime itself.)

And what do you mean "still have XP"? Last time I checked, virtually
*everybody* is "still" using XP. (Except for the tiny few who bought a
new PC recently.)

>> My brand new Vista laptop still doesn't have the .NET runtime.
>
> Did you uninstall it somehow? Vista comes with .net 3.0.

I rephrase: The .NET runtime is not listed in add/remove programs. I
presumed this to mean it isn't installed.