POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: somebody
Date: 19 Oct 2009 09:11:11
Message: <4adc656f$1@news.povray.org>
news:4adc205c@news.povray.org...
> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:

> > And *if* the second unmanned ship failed, *then* they'd send a manned
rescue
> > and repair mission, which would make for a more beliavable premise.

>   You don't "rescue and repair" a ship which eg. plummets into the Sun
> without exploding because something critical failed a bit before.

Huh? Is the payload supposed to be *manually* detonated "inside" the sun?
It's then sillier than I thought. If you drop a bomb into the sun and if it
doesn't detonate, I'm sorry, but there's *absolutely* nothing on board
astronauts can do except turn into plasma long before they notice the
malfunction, much less diagnose or fix it. What you are suggesting is like
strapping a technician to an atom bomb before dropping it off the plane, for
him to fix it in case something goes wrong on the way down.

>   I honestly think you are now really stretching to try to find something
> to complain (about a movie you haven't even seen). I'm failing to see your
> ultimate motive. Is it to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing? What
> is your ultimate goal?

The whole premise struck me as supremely farfetched, that's all.