POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions : Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Oct 2009 07:02:07
Message: <4adc472f$1@news.povray.org>
>> I don't see the difference. Before, you needed the Borland Runtime.
>> Now you need .NET.
>
> Most people have the .net runtime, whereas most people do not have the
> Borland runtime.
>
> It's like the difference between sending someone an obscure document
> format (and telling them where to get the reader from) or just sending
> them a PDF. Technically you need a reader too for PDF, but almost
> everyone has it already, so it's much more convenient.

Where does this "everybody has the .NET runtime" myth come from?

My PC didn't have the .NET runtime. (If I hadn't installed VisualStudio,
it still wouldn't have it.) My brand new Vista laptop still doesn't have
the .NET runtime. My mum's PC doesn't have the .NET runtime. My
grandparents' PC doesn't have the .NET runtime. My dad's two Windows PCs
don't have the .NET runtime. And the 35 PCs at work didn't have the .NET
runtime either until we rolled out some app which actually needed it.
(We deployed it via Windows Update Server.)

So who is this "everybody" who already has the .NET runtime then?