POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: clipka
Date: 19 Oct 2009 05:20:15
Message: <4adc2f4f@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>   Wait a moment. You base your opinion about movies solely on whether they
> meet the *expectations* you had about the movies before seeing them (rather
> than judging them in their own right, without any prejudices)?

No; if I did that, I wouldn't have enjoyed "Contact".

If you interpret that into my posting, you haven't read it carefully
enough, or with a bias.

>   I'm sorry to say this, but that sounds just crazy.

Why? If I feel like watching a Sci-Fi action movie, and the thing I pay
money for turns out to be some splatterpunk or whatever - which I
wouldn't normally like anyway, and which I absolutely positively /not/
feel like right now - then what's crazy about me considering the movie bad?

My judgement of a movie is simple: If I enjoyed it, then I consider it
good - if I didn't, then I consider it bad. Obviously, expectation /is/
a factor affecting whether I like it or not.

I don't give a damn about excellent vs. not-so-good acting so long as
the movie manages to keep me focused on the story it tells; nor do I
give a damn about excellent vs. not-so-good plot as long as the movie
manages to keep me focused on the acting. And the expectations I have
when entering the theater affect how good a movie can accomplish this.
If I came particularly for the special effects, I really don't give a
damn about anything else as long as the special effects are good and
plenty and the other stuff is good enough to not distract me for longer
than a few moments.

Anyone claiming to judge movies otherwise, and considering my way to
judge movies superficial, I'd consider them dishonest, puffed-up
intellectual farts.