POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric shapes that could be turned into buildings : Re: Geometric shapes that could be turned into buildings Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric shapes that could be turned into buildings
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 19 Oct 2009 03:06:59
Message: <4adc1013$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> I was wondering, what kind of interesting geometric shapes (solids,
> surfaces, etc.) have been or could be converted into buildings?

Boxes, clearly!

More seriously, how about a catenary curve? Quadrics and conic sections
are also pretty common, as are helices.  Ditto for general developable
and ruled surfaces.  More local geometric concepts based on discrete
differential geometry are also used occasionally, and although I haven't
seen many examples I think that minimal surfaces could be used pretty
effectively too.  As far as actual buildings I think the Sagrada Familia
probably contains my favorite instances of mathematical forms in
architecture, but there are many others (although I can only recall a
few more off the top of my head).

Slightly more povray-oriented, the Infinite Spire is a nifty cool idea
related to this: http://www.oyonale.com/infinitespire.php?lang=en