POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Oct 2009 19:12:34
Message: <4adba0e2$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Ok, I see what you mean. (I don't like warp drive personally, it's a retrofitted
> contortion that, as you say, requires quite fine gravity control.

Well, it's the one that actual scientists are actually talking about. :-)

> I rate it
> alongside star wars' hyperdrive to be honest. I was thinking of wormholes etc.)

Generally speaking, "hyperdrive" and "warp drive" tend to mean the same
thing - going somewhere that the speed of light is faster. (Assuming it's
explained at all.)

> whereas I've not heard of any engineering applications of the Higgs Boson yet!

Well, it depends what you can do with it! Higgs provides inertial mass, as I
understand it, so it's really likely the basis of any "generated" gravity.

> Hmm, the 'manipulation of gravity' that I was thinking about wasn't any cleverer
> than piling big fat masses up in interesting ways - ever read any Stephen
> Baxter?

The few I've read have been awful. :-)

And piling up big fat masses isn't gravity manipulation to achieve FTL
travel? :-)

As an aside, I just got back from the bookstore and it seems they have no
actual science fiction in their science fiction section. There was some
heinlein and asimov and other dead authors, a whole shelf of star wars and
star trek, another shelf of manga, and everything else was vampires and
dragons.  Oh, except for the John Ringo type stories. (Many of which I'm not
even sure why they're listed under Science Fiction, except the author also
writes some science fiction.)  WTF guys? Haven't you written any actual
science fiction in ten years? Is America so hopelessly stupid and luddite
that nobody reads something with actual science in it?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)