POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source software is always stable : Re: Open source software is always stable Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source software is always stable
From: Warp
Date: 18 Oct 2009 15:35:51
Message: <4adb6e17@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran <gil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> >  I did not touch the subject of *quality* in my post, nor do I in any way
> > claim that OSS would be in part with the best commercial software in many
> > fields.

> I was addressing the claim that "OSS is user-oriented, doing what benefits
> the users the most.".

  Targetting your users rather than your own company doesn't say anything
about the quality of the software.

> To be frank, I have lost my time trying OSS. I push OSS when it's good, but
> just too much of the stuff is alpha quality and in some cases I wished that
> OSS folks had been more honest in stating that they were doing it for fun
> without the pretense of creating a useful and working product. I'm wiser
> now. At least marketing folks are paid to lie ;)

  Linux (or sometimes a BSD variant) and Apache are used in tons of web
servers out there (in fact, I think they are the majority). People can
have differing opinions about the quality of the Linux/Apache combo, but
you can't deny that many people have found it a working (and *free*)
solution.

  That's just one example.

--
                                                          - Warp