POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source software is always stable : Re: Open source software is always stable Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source software is always stable
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Oct 2009 14:00:00
Message: <4adb57a0$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:39:08 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> One of the disadvantages is that developers feel bugs are not as
>>> important because they expect that someone *with* the skills will
>>> eventually come along and fix it.
>>
>> Got some data to back up that assertion?  Or is that what you've been
>> trying to post and say?
>
> Ah yes...
>
> Why doesn't XXX work properly?
>
> "It's a known bug. Patches welcome."

That doesn't mean the developer is not working on it and hoping someone
else will fix it.  It generally means "I know it's a bug and will get
around to fixing it at some point, but there are higher priority things
for me to work on.  If you want to submit a patch, though, you're welcome
to do so".

Do that with closed-source software. ;-)

Jim