POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:28:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: somebody
Date: 17 Oct 2009 17:55:32
Message: <4ada3d54$1@news.povray.org>
news:4ada2f46@news.povray.org...

>   Btw, can anyone recommend *good* sci-fi movies? Preferrably hard science
> fiction. "Hard" in this context means physically plausible technology and
> physics, which imples, among other things:
>
> - No faster-than-light travel.
> - No time travel.
> - No far-fetched supernatural phenomena (unknown to modern science).
> - Preferably no aliens, but if there are, as plausible ones as possible.

>   (The alien in the movie of the same name *counts* as plausible because
> it does nothing supernatural or physically implausible.)

I would consider several things, such as their growth rate without apparent
nutrients, physically and biologically implausible. I think Aliens series is
much closer to "horror when mutant, 20 foot ants attack" genre than hard
sci-fi.

>   Besides Alien (and Aliens), this one is a perfect example of what I'm
> looking for: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/

I just had a quick glance, but sun going out and being kick started by
humans both seem like definition of supernatural.