POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source software is always stable : Re: Open source software is always stable Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source software is always stable
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Oct 2009 15:24:18
Message: <4ada19e2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   My sentence was rhetorical, not literal. (If you want a literal translation,
> it's: "Why are you saying that some people claim that OSS is always stable?
> I have never heard anyone making such a claim.")

I've heard lots of people try to claim directly or indirectly that OSS
is somehow automatically inherantly superior to proprietry software just
because it's OSS. Which, IMHO, is untrue.

For example, I've written libraries and released the source code. You
could claim that those libraries are therefore "open-source". So does
that mean they're better than any possible proprietry library? Uh... I
don't think so. :-/

I more valid claim would be that the OSS development model has several
advantages that the closed-source model doesn't have. That doesn't
automatically translate into a superior end-product though. (And it also
quietly ignores the fact that closed-source has advantages that
open-source doesn't have too...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/