POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for Speed: Shift : Re: Need for Speed: Shift Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need for Speed: Shift
From: Warp
Date: 16 Oct 2009 16:27:23
Message: <4ad8d72b@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian <ski### [at] vtedu> wrote:
> Is that the new one? Played the demo on a friends PS3, found that the
> steering physics felt just fine from a joystick, but with a wheel,
> pedals and shift stick it just felt sloppy. The force feedback made the
> steering wheel bounce rapidly from side to side, which made the car
> wobble so much worse than anything either of us had ever actually
> driven.

  I really like the extra feeling a force feedback wheel controller gives
(on a game with good support for it, of course).

  I have never driven a real car (I don't even own a driver's license),
much less a racing car, but nevertheless with a good game the wheel
controller can add a lot to the realism, and actually the force feedback
can aid in the driving. For example when driving normally the wheel will
tend to center itself (as I assume is the case with a real car). If you
drive fast enough in a curve, and your turning speed exceeds the critical
limit that you start drifting, suddenly the wheel will get "loose", so
you get a physical feedback exactly when you start drifting, which helps
you immediately compensate. Likewise when the car stops drifting and the
tires get a grip, the force feedback returns, giving you a feeling of when
the drifting ends.

  You can't get that with any other controller.

--
                                                          - Warp