POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Finland is Cool : Re: Finland is Cool Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finland is Cool
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Oct 2009 15:36:39
Message: <4ad8cb47@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> The postoffice has an obligation here to deliver the mail to everybody.
> (which is a problem if you allow competition at the same time because
> the most obvious way to decrease costs is to deliver only in big
> cities). This is the same sort of arrangement.

Sounds like the arrangement we had in the USA for telephone service before
the monopoly got broken up.  "You provide service for everyone at a rate we
set, and you get to exclude competition that would make you unable to make a
profit at that rate."  Then MCI sets up long distance calls anyway, Bell
sues MCI for violating their monopoly agreement with the feds, MCI
successfully argues that with digital and microwaves it doesn't need
centralized control any more, Bell Systems gets broken into AT&T Long
Distance and the seven regional companies.

Then it gets screwed, because the feds say "the regional companies still
have to provide service to everyone, but Bell also have to rent their
equipment to competitors at the same rate as Bell pay to obtain it, and the
competitors get to cherry-pick their customers."

Our post office has competition, but the post office is the only entity
allowed to put mail in your mailbox (rather than, say, on the step or in a
different box), and that's the only kind of mail valid for some sorts of
stuff (like sending bills).

I think France had global service availability with Minitel many decades
ago, too.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)