POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : input/output file : Re: input/output file Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: input/output file
From: clipka
Date: 16 Oct 2009 10:14:42
Message: <4ad87fd2$1@news.povray.org>
esterichia schrieb:

> I tried with the following code and an input file with a sequence of floats.
> The problem is that some data in the input file are not read (I checked with the
> #write): sometimes every second float is read, sometimes there is no regular
> pattern. Moreover, sometimes the minus sign is not read.
> (I got a similar error with vectors of floats)
> //    #write (outputfile, x1, " ", x2, " ", x3, "\n")

See section 3.2.2.3.4 "The #write Directive" of the POV-Ray inbuilt help:

"Note: data read by the #read directive must have comma delimiters
between values and quotes around string data but the #write directive
does not automatically output commas or quotes."

It appears that in the absence of a separating comma, POV-Ray will
instead "eat" the next number entirely if it is positive, OR its minus
sign if it is negative.